Sunday, January 6, 2008

Parting Shots


Week 5: Washington, D.C.

The Broadway company of "Spamalot" started a tradition known as "Shot Night." Every Saturday night someone in the company hosts a gathering in his or her dressing room and treats the cast and crew to a shot. Being the newbie in the cast, and this being the end of the first week of the new year, I thought it appropriate that I take this week's Shot Night. I served B-52s, and with the help of my dresser, Lynn, poured 57 of these complicated layered shots! For those who don't know, B-52's are equal parts Kahlua, Bailey's, and Grand Marnier. Each of the liquors is poured over the back of a spoon so that they separate and create neat stripey layers. After the performance, I put on some tunes (the B-52's of course!) and we had a nice festive moment together. In the group photo here, we have (from left to right): Jeff, our 'Patsy'; Erik, ensemble; Nigel, swing; Tony, sound guy; Michael, 'King Arthur'; Francesca, stage management; Graham, dance captain; and Jonathan, ensemble.



I feel very much a part of the group now, falling into the traditions and ways of the tour and getting to know my fellow workers. Today is our last day in Washington, and my 23rd and 24th performances in the show. Amazing how fast it goes! I feel very lucky that I had a nice month long sit down here to get comfortable in my role. It's been great. The DC audiences have been terrific and there is nothing quite like the high of our curtain call and the encore of "Bright Side" in front of a packed and enthusiastic crowd. I don't think I will ever get jaded about it. It is just such fun. One of the oddest things about working here has been having that great connection with the audience, then emerging from the stage door after the show and mingling with the crowd as we all make our way to the Metro to go home. I have stood on the platform or even on the train, feet away from people holding "Spamalot" playbills, discussing the show, my performance, and even reading my bio out of the program, but not one person has recognized me from the show! It's a very strange feeling. They loved Sir Robin, but once I have left the glow of the spotlight and shed my tabard, chainmail and wig, I am just Jamie again and no one recognizes me!

Well, tomorrow morning we bus to Schenectady. Thanks Washington, for a great holiday season! The new year will bring many adventures and many changes in the touring company of "Spamalot." By March, we will have a new King Arthur--the wonderful Gary Beach, who you may know from his amazing performance as Roger DeBris in "The Producers" or as Albin in the recent Broadway revival of "La Cage Aux Folles"--and a new Patsy--Brad Bradley, who is joining us from the Broadway company at the end of this month. Michael Siberry and Jeff Dumas have been in the tour since the beginning and are incredible performers. It'll be sad to see them go, but that is the way things go in a long running show--people come and go. Thank goodness, or I wouldn't be here! So long for now, folks. More to come from snowy Schenectady...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heya Jamie, *Am I really the first to comment on the blog?

This is long overdue...I saw Spamalot! on January 2nd and was just enthralled! I enjoyed Monty Python when I was younger (mainly because my dad is obsessed) but was just blown away by the stage production!
This was hands down the best performance I have ever seen on stage, and you were certainly the highlight of the show. The "Jew" song was great, but I laughed the hardest as the curtain was closing after the last bow and you were still squatting and waving.
It's funny you mention the Metro. As we were traveling home I heard a couple different people mention the show and one even mentioned Sir Robin-( All good comments)Then I wondered if by chance one of the actors just might be sitting there too.
Anyway, I hope you continue to have fun on the tour, and good choice with the B52's ;-)

Annie, Naples, FL