Sunday, January 27, 2008

Farewell to Boston

Week 9: Boston

Pack up the luggage, la la la
Unpack the luggage, la la la
Pack up the luggage, la la la
Heigh ho, the Glamorous Life...
--Stephen Sondheim


My last weekend in Boston was marred somewhat by my getting the flu and being quite, quite ill. So much so that I had to miss a matinee performance. This was a blow to me because in 20 years as an actor I had not missed a single performance. So it hurt to have to sit out a show. However, I was so sick that it was impossible for me to do my work. I am still feeling pretty cruddy, but pushed through to do my last performances. This weekend, my best friend Mickey came up from New York to see the show and spend my day off with me here in Boston. We have been friends for 25 years and met at Boston University. So we are enjoying a little nostalgic visit together here. This photo is from lunch with my two Mickeys--my favorite people on earth--my best friend and my Mom.




Next stop is Providence, Rhode Island. It will be a busy week as we will be in rehearsals to incorporate some new and temporary replacement actors into the show. Michael Siberry, our King Arthur, and Jeff Dumas, our Patsy, after two years in the tour are leaving. Chris Gurr, who plays Bedevere, will be taking over the role of King Arthur until Gary Beach takes it on in Miami. Wally Dunn, the Bedevere from the Vegas company, will join us to cover the role while Chris is King. Brad Bradley will be joining us from the Broadway company to take over the role of Patsy. We have a new showgirl going in to the show in Providence as well. I was also excited to hear that Joan Marcus, the company photographer, will be coming to Providence to take some shots of the new principals, including me! So before too long I will be able to post some official shots of me as Robin. I will have a few friends coming to see the show as well as my agent, Jim Flynn.

Here is a photo of my Boston dresser, Bev, who was just great. I told her she was my good luck charm, being named as she is after my hometown of Beverly. The local crew here in Boston were all quite exceptional, as was our talented orchestra. The hard work of the many people behind the scenes cannot be underestimated. These folks work hard. We closed Sunday night and by Monday morning "Spamalot" was a memory and the Opera House marquee was already advertising "My Fair Lady." The touring business gives new meaning to the phrase, "here today, gone tomorrow."

More to come from Providence, my friends. Time to pack up the luggage, la la la... I am bringing with me a new hot plate, a crock pot and a set of camping utensils so I can turn my hotel rooms into kitchens. I am determined to be a frugal and successful touring guy. We'll see how it all works out! But of course, it wouldn't be Providence without at least one nice Italian dinner out! Ciao!

No comments: