Sunday, January 20, 2008

Feat of Clay


Week 8: Boston, MA

Okay, so how, you may ask, do I feel about Clay Aiken playing the role of Sir Robin on Broadway? First, let me say that there is a definite buzz about it around the theatre here for sure, and mixed reports of all kinds coming in from the Broadway company. But the major report is that Clay's fans are flooding the Shubert theatre and tearing the house down with enthusiasm for what Clay is doing. He got a standing ovation after the "Jew Song" Friday night on the scale of a rock concert. Now, is this appropriate for this funny comedy piece? One might better ask, what isn't appropriate at "Spamalot?!" It's a good time show. It's also a profit making business. If Clay brings a whole new audience to the show who may never have seen live theatre or Broadway, then I say fantastic.

One might be inclined to grumble that a performer like Clay, with little or no acting experience, can just step right into a leading role on Broadway while others struggle and work for years to achieve that kind of break. But Clay is an accomplished young man. He was a special education teacher before "American Idol," he beat out thousands of people to get into that competition, and with the support of the American public, finished second and emerged with his first single at #1 on the Billboard charts. He has sold 6 million albums and has established a foundation for special needs kids. While it surely has not been lost on the producers of our show that Clay will be good for business during the slow months of this, the third year of the Broadway run, I also know the creative team are people with integrity and very high standards. I am sure that Clay had a very strenuous rehearsal process and that every aspect of his performance was worked on and guided by expert hands. Reading the interviews with Clay, and hearing about his aching muscles and exhaustion, all I could think was, brother, I feel you!! And of course, add to the pressure on Aiken that there are plenty of people out there who want to see a success like he is fall on his face in the "legit" world--next to creating superstars, there is nothing Americans love more than seeing them fall.

The only thing I am perhaps jealous of is that Clay got wonderful photos of himself in Sir Robin gear by Joan Marcus. I'd love to have a few official images of me in the show. Am I concerned that now Sir Robin will be a "celebrity only" part on Broadway? Well, I have no doubt that there will be other big names coming through the show in various roles as the run continues. But these roles are not easy to cast and require real acting chops, dialect skills, etc. I think the creative team knows this and there will still be opportunities for fine actors to play these parts in all the "Spamalot" companies. I am very grateful to be doing the tour and tickled that I am playing the same role simultaneously with Clay Aiken. I wish him much luck! He is about to experience what an eight show week feels like, and I am sure, will come to appreciate and respect the hard work that this truly is.

Here in Boston, our audiences have been been great and I have gotten to see and hear from many relatives, friends and colleagues who have shown up to surprise me back stage or have dropped me an email or sent a note or flowers. Thank you all for your support! My dressing room is a riot of colorful blooms--so much so that our stage manager walked by the other day and said, "When is the body being laid out?" I feel a sense of full circle being back here that is very gratifying. If you keep your dream alive, see it, believe it, and persist, it can take you exactly where you want to go. For me, it has been a long road since drama school here in Boston oh-so-many years ago. So to return here in this great show and in a great part--yeah it feels pretty terrific. That said, I am ready for a day off!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey James, loved your blog about Clay joining the cast of Spamalot. I am a fan of his and this is the absolute last thing in the world that I would have expected him to do. The show is hysterically funny and I had know idea what it was about. You are a class act and I loved your picture as Robin in one of your other blogs. It sounds as if you are having a blast touring, and Clay seems to be having a lot of fun also. It seems like a dream job although not an easy task. Good luck to you in all of your endeavors.

Anonymous said...

Great article! I especailly enjoyed hearing your input on Clay Aiken playing a role that you are so familiar with yourself and reading that you can truly appreciate the work that he has put into the preparation and complexities of doing this role 8 times a week.

My daughter told me only today that she and her husband plan on seeing Spamalot in Boston.

Anonymous said...

Dear James:
Thanks so very much for the kind words and accolaids for CLAY AIKEN in SPAMALOT! Sadly I am not blessed enough to see the play. I instead rejoice in the good praise he is getting. I would also like to say good luck to you in your career. May you have many blessings along your way as well !

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog, Mr. Beaman. I'm a Clay Aiken fan, but can't make it to NY to see Spamalot. Any chance your tour will bring you to the midwest? I'd love to see you as Sir Robin - you sound like a class act.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and generous blog towards Clay! Kudos for you, too! You epitomize exactly what Clay has been saying in all his interviews...that the cast is welcoming, almost like a family, and totally supportive towards one another.

Clay has said time and again, in support of his fellow idols, that being on Broadway is very hard work and shows the depth of the talent of those idols who make it there. Am sure it never crossed his mind that , in only a short while, he, too, would become a Broadway idol.

It is wonderful that you are experiencing so much success in your career, as well. Being able to perform in front of a home crowd must be the icing on the cake for you. I know Clay always choked up with tears when hearing the Raleigh crowd cheer for him. Am sure you must feel the same.

My fellow clayfans are having a terrific time at Spamalot. Their personal recaps are priceless. Although I live on Vancouver Island and can't get to NYC to see the play, I am happy to read all the reports. They bring us all so near to the stage. They tell all of us how terrific the people of New York have been towards them. A+ for the people of New York.

Those standing ovations have been due Clay for a long time; when in concert, Clay always tries to minimize them because he is so humble. At the theatre, Clay can't do that so.....the fans can finally let it all hang out and cheer for this terrific person.

They are also cheering for you all; when you are doing a standing 'O' as they say, how can you spread your arms wide to include everyone at the same time as you're clapping madly? Only in Spamalot, can you do ten things at once. Just ask Clay...

Anonymous said...

Hello James! As a huge fan of Clay's, I loved the positive things you had to say about his run in Spamalot - and as a former professional stage manager in NYC, I am thrilled that the comments came from you, a theatre performer! Having worked years in the theatre, both in NY and regional theatre, I know how important the understanding and support of fellow actors/crew can be!

I've seen Clay in Spamalot twice already, and plan to see it at least several more times - but I've fallen in love with the crazy show itself and would love to see you and your cast too! How long will you be in Boston?

Enjoy your tour, James, and enjoy the love and support of your friends and family. It doesn't get much better than this! Wishing you great success & happiness always.

Anonymous said...

It's so refreshing to read kind words - You sound like a terrific person and actor - how nice of you to give Clay kudos - those of us who are his fans have had to spend a good deal of time reading lies, distortions and just overall mean comments about him - I always wonder why some are so invested in these pursuits.

So thank you! I'd love to see you in Spamalot too - I'm just grateful that I'll actually get to NYC to see Clay and to see the play - until he took the stage I had no interest in the production - since he's been in the cast I've learned a great deal about the dhow and can't wait to see it.

Once again - you're a class act.