Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Home Court Advantage




Week 7: Boston, MA

While our official press opening is tonight, last night was our first performance at the Opera House here in Boston, and for me, the real opening, since my Mom and sister and nephew, along with some old friends, were out front cheering me on. Here in a picture taken at the stage door after the performance, are me with (from left to right): my nephew DJ, sister Clea, and my Mom, Mickey. It felt so good and so comforting to have my family see me in this show. For me, their opinion means the most and to have them share in the pleasure I have in being a part of this hit show makes all of it more meaningful and worthwhile. I was very bummed out that I missed catching the cane in my big number, "You Won't Succeed on Broadway." At the penultimate moment of the song, my lead minstrel, played by Christopher Sutton, tosses me a cane in a perfectly timed sequence that, in my 33 performances thus far, has gone without a hitch--except for three times, including tonight. Damn! While everyone says they didn't notice the fumble, for me, the crazy perfectionist, it marred an otherwise fine performance which was entirely for my loved ones. Sigh. That's live theatre.

If you have never been to the Boston Opera House, it is difficult to describe the magnificence of this sumptuous and wonderfully ornate theatre. It was built in 1928 but the decor is very much a mixture of art nouveau and baroque, rich gold leaf and putti, and wonderful ceiling murals of nymphs and goddesses. Back in 1991, when the theatre was run down, it was further damaged by a flood and a concerted effort by the mayor and the city of Boston, and a multi-million dollar restoration brought the theatre back to its former glory. Standing on the stage during our sound check yesterday and looking out on this opulent house was breathtaking. For someone like me, completely in love with all things theatre, it is an honor to be able to command a stage like this.




I feel enormously blessed to have my tour begin as it did--with my first performances in Washington, D.C., a place that holds fond memories for me of great achievements earning my graduate degree in acting, and now that I have my sea legs in the role, to have my first official press opening here in Boston, my hometown, with my loved ones looking on. I am truly living a dream. I plan to visit some of my old haunts, my old South End neighborhood, and some of the great cultural institutions of Boston, such as the Museum of Fine Arts, while I am here. I am also going up next week to my hometown of Beverly for a nice visit with my Mom and a much anticipated, if chilly, stroll on the beach. More from here soon, friends.

No comments: