Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Human Cannonball


Week Three: Washington, D.C.

Dear Readers:

My apologies for keeping you hanging. It has been difficult, without a computer, to add to my blog. But today I got my brand new Macbook and I am back in business. Merry Christmas to me! So there will be better posts and pictures and all sorts of good stuff from here on out.

Tuesday night I opened in "Spamalot" on the National Theatre stage. It was, for all intents and purposes, a dress rehearsal as well as my first actual run through of the show with the full company--correction: my first run through, period! Only way to describe it is being shot out of a cannon. Remember those nightmares you had in high school or college where you found yourself taking a final exam for a course you never took? Well, that begins to capture the feeling of being out on stage in a show I had watched 20 times, suddenly in a wig and "chain mail" and two microphones pinned to my head with a spotlight in my eyes and an audience in three tiers staring at me! All in all, my debut performance went pretty darn well. No major screwups, but it was sheer muscle and adrenaline that got me through that night. Terrifying! And I had not realized how aerobically challenging the thing is. It's a real workout, folks! By the end of the first big production number, I was drenched in sweat, panting for breath and my heart almost jumped out of my chest it was pounding so hard. I have four performances under my belt now but let me tell you, this show takes it out of you. I was very lucky on my first night that the company rallied around and were so amazing and supportive. They did an hysterical ritual with me backstage before the overture, where they formed a ring around me, sang an odd little song, and then all humped me en masse! I guess I am part of the team now, or the "spamily" as they call it.

I was further blessed this week when our new Associate Director BT McNicholl and our Associate Choreographer Scott Taylor came to see the show and worked with us on refining our performances. Being in the beginning stage of developing my performance in my role, getting the chance to be directed by BT was such an advantage. I worked with BT on "La Cage Aux Folles" this summer and he is a wonderful director, incredibly bright and detail oriented and loves actors. The work I got to do with the other principals was invaluable and helped us connect with each other and really play the reality (as bizarre is it is in this show) of the characters and relationships. I think audiences would be really pleased to know the incredible attention to every detail and nuance of the show and the performances that our creative team attends to. People really care that this show be not only the highest possible quality, but that every moment be crafted to uplift, elate and amuse. I went on Thursday night feeling much more prepared and confident, knowing that some really smart and talented people were out front not only keeping an eye on me but also in total support of my work and what I am bringing to the role of Sir Robin.

So I am about to launch into my first four show weekend and I know it will be very physically demanding. But I keep reminding myself that I have ahead of me over 400 performances of this show. I will either be in the shape of my life, or it will kill me!! No, seriously, the physical challenge is just part of the good, exciting work of this job. I am looking forward to becoming stronger and more confident in what I am doing. Meantime, the holidays have crept up on me and I regret to say that for me, this is a lost Christmas. I simply haven't had a moment to think about shopping or anything festive. Many of the company members will be traveling to family gatherings during our two days off next week but since I will be seeing my Mom and sister and my nieces and nephew in Boston in a few weeks, I am staying here and spending a low key Christmas in DC. A nice meal on Christmas Eve, a movie, probably "Sweeney Todd," this year's big holiday movie musical, and french toast and mimosas prepared by yours truly in pajamas in my little hotel suite on Christmas morning. I think the rest and relaxation are just what the doctor ordered. Next week, a holiday post for you. For now, enjoy your last minute shopping, give a hug to those you love and enjoy the season.

No comments: