Friday, October 16, 2009

The Show That Ends Like This



Week 95: Costa Mesa, CA

Nothing is forever in the theatre. Whatever it is, it flares up, burns hot, and then it's gone.
--Joe Mankiewicz, "All About Eve"

22 Months.
62 Cities.
676 Performances.

For me, the journey that started with an offer of work, on my birthday, in October 2007, comes almost completely full circle this week. It was a journey of firsts in many respects: my first national tour, my first principal role on a contract of this level, my first time visiting many of the cities on our tour. On a personal level, the journey was transformative. I mourned and moved beyond the breakup of a long term relationship, I overcame many fears, including my fear of driving, and got my first driver's license. I learned about myself by broadening my experience through travel; I met and befriended some wonderful people along the way, some of whom I met simply through this blog and my website. I achieved some long dreamt of goals, buried some demons, and lived some dreams. My journey was as much an internal one as an external; as I moved about North America performing, I found my way into my own heart and mind and deepened my sense of spirituality. I discovered that the work that I love to do is not just for my own fulfillment and joy. What I do enables me to collaborate with other artists, thus helping facilitate their dreams too; it touches the minds and hearts of the people in the audience and can even be a source of inspiration for aspiring young artists who might be out there looking up at the stage and wishing that wish to be a part of it all. There have been dark moments over the past twenty years of my career, moments when I honestly thought of throwing in the towel--too many rejections, too much struggle. Touring with "Spamalot" has renewed my faith--in myself, in the power of dreams, and in the doing of something that brings pleasure and happiness to hundreds of thousands of people. I thank you, dear readers, for not only taking the ride with me, but for constantly touching me with your generosity and encouragement. Many of you have asked me if I will continue blogging beyond this, and I can only say that I would love to continue writing, and just have to decide what the focus of a new blog would be. If you would like to be on my email list to receive updates on anything that I might get up to in the future, please send me an email at james@jamesbeaman.com.

I rented a car for a couple days this week in order to see something of the area, and despite some inclement weather I had a nice drive. I visited Laguna Beach, a longtime seaside resort and artist's enclave, first. Walked on the beach with my Starbucks latte, visited some art galleries and home decor shops. The town had that feeling of a seasonal community off season--a little sleepy, many businesses closed, and a few intrepid visitors braving the overcast skies and drizzle to stroll the quiet streets.
From there I drove to San Juan Capistrano, to visit the mission there. This historic Catholic mission was founded in 1776 by Spanish missionaries who came to convert the Native Americans of the region to Catholicism. The stone church and grounds of the mission were badly damaged by an earthquake in the early 19th century, but the ruins, gardens, the Mission Basilica (a lovely cathedral with a glorious gold altarpiece) and the oldest building in California still in use, the enchanting Father Serra's Chapel, make for a beautiful historic site well worth a visit.
The gardens are fragrant with roses and lush with olive trees, and the old 18th century chapel was a beautiful place for some quiet prayer and contemplation. Of course San Juan Capistrano is most famous for the annual migration of cliff swallows which are fabled to return on St. Joseph's Day, March 19, every year. Those of you who know "Spamalot" know that we spend a bit of time arguing the migratory habits of African versus European swallows in the show! So it was fun to be in a town that is famous for the little birds and even has a Swallow Festival every year. There's even a song made famous by Glenn Miller's orchestra, "When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano:"

All the mission bells will ring
The chapel choir will sing
The happiness you bring will live in my memory
When the swallows come back to Capistrano
That's the day I pray that you'll come back to me...

Monday night, our hair and makeup department supervisor, Mitchell, threw an early Halloween fete called "The Hell Party." He hosted the soiree with his cohort, one of our gorgeous ensemble ladies, Paula, at their place in Huntington Beach. A nice cross section of the cast and crew rose to the occasion and showed up in some outrageous costumes. We had a group of girls dressed as a hot dog, a ketchup bottle, mustard bottle and a beer; we had Red Riding Hood, a sexy female cop leading a corrupt umpire around in handcuffs, not one but two Middle Eastern suicide bombers, and numerous ghosts, vampires, and other spooky creatures.
As you know, if you ever googled me or read my website, I had a brief career as a female impersonator, but have not appeared in drag (with the exception of a great production of "La Cage Aux Folles" a few years ago) in almost a decade. Mitchell has been after me to get done up, and I figured a Halloween party was a great excuse. So I attended the Hell Party as the legendary tragic Greek heroine, Medea. To me I looked like a Spanish soap star, but the Grecian gown and two dead baby dolls hanging from my belt like a trophy told their own story! It was a really fun and festive evening and a most welcome infusion of jollity and laughs during our last week. That's me with Mitchell, who seems about to take a bite out of Medea!

Since I have introduced you to all of my dressers on this tour, I thought it appropriate during this last week to introduce a special lady without whom I could not have become Robin eight shows a week. Here, with me at the Hell Party, is the lovely Suzanne. Suzanne hails from Tyler, Texas and she has the accent and sassy cowgirl attitude too. She is a very talented hair and makeup pro, who got her start in theatre doing wigs for the LA Opera. Since then she has toured with several Broadway shows including "The Producers" and "Les Miserables." Suzanne has been a good friend to me over these many months, and we have shared confidences and laughs and great times. I will miss her very much--she not only was the only one who made Robin look just right, but she also gave me amazing haircuts! I know Suzanne is looking forward very much to going home to the beautiful country house she built and spending time with her Mom, who lives with her in Texas. I wish her all the best of everything for the future, and I hope we will get to work together again soon.

I will be doing one final blog post next week in order to encapsulate our final weekend of shows, our finale, and my return to New York. So tune in next week for that. All that remains this week is to introduce you to my final dresser on "Spamalot," Julie.
Julie left an exciting career as a paralegal many years ago to do the work of the theatre. Imagine that! She is a seasoned pro and has worked every show that has come through the area. Her confident, no nonsense attitude has been most welcome during these last weeks. With the show coming to an end, I am reminded of my very first dresser, Lyn, who got me through those first weeks of performances in Washington, D.C. back at Christmas time in 2007. It was Lyn's gentleness, thoughtfulness and kindness to me that inspired my tradition of sharing my dressers with you all. I am so grateful to all the lovely ladies who have taken care of me and Sir Robin as we have traveled North America. Best wishes to you all!

It is a surreal thing to watch this production wind itself up. During this week there has been a gradual diaspora as another few performers, including our beloved dance captain Graham and his wife Cara, have left us early. We received signed posters from Eric Idle and John DuPrez as parting gifts, and have come in to work each night to another farewell letter on the callboard from the producers, or general managers, or a former performer or assistant who worked on the tour. The company's personal trunks have been packed and shipped off to their homes. Saddest moment this week was perhaps receiving our final paychecks! That is one thing I will definitely miss! It has been a challenge this week to stay positive and not give in to the feelings of anxiety that come up about being out of work, having to return to the hectic world of auditions and networking back home, and the realization that my life will profoundly change after almost two years of constant performing and traveling. But change is the only constant, as they say. To close this week, I am reminded of a parable that I read recently that I think is very wise on the subject of change (see below). At the time of this posting, we have five more shows to do. One final post next week from New York City, friends.

There once was a king who was going to put to death many people, but before doing so he offered a challenge. If any of them could come up with something which would make him happy when he was sad, and sad when he was happy, he would spare their lives.

All night the wise men meditated on the matter.

In the morning they brought the king a ring. The king said that he did not see how the ring would serve to make him happy when he was sad and sad when he was happy.

The wise men pointed to the inscription. When the king read it, he was so delighted that he spared them all.

And the inscription? "This too shall pass."

--Ram Dass, "Journey of Awakening"

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Brilliant entry, Jamie. Good luck on your last 5 shows, I know you are treasuring every moment. I will definitely be emailing you to be put on the list for updates!

sharon said...

Jamie,
Thank you for the wonderful interesting and informative blogs. I will miss reading them for sure.
Looking forward to reading your final blog.
Sharon