Friday, November 16, 2007

Decorating the Cake


This week was about fittings, of several kinds. First I made a call at Euro Co where the chainmail is made for Spamalot. I was measured and put into a pair of mail tights and some sleeves. The tights made me feel a little like I was in a child's "footie" pajamas and I'm afraid, if you look at the picture taken during my fitting, I look it a bit! From there I trudged through the rainy, soggy Manhattan streets to T.O. Dey, a long-established Broadway institution, where custom made shoes are created.

This is one of the great pleasures of becoming part of a Broadway show. Doors open onto creative workshops where the finest work has been done for the biggest shows and biggest talents for decades! T.O. Dey just reeks of history. I was greeted by Gino and shown to a fitting room where I waited with sadly soggy stocking feet. The whole place seemed to be working, and leather and shoes and foot casts were everywhere. Gino measured my feet and traced them and I was on my way. They will be making two pairs of custom made boots for me. Now if you think I am not feeling giddily like a star, you would be wrong. It's so much fun! And more, one begins to see that the reason for all the great expense is the pursuit of absolute excellence.

Today I went to Barbara Matera, an amazing costume shop, where the rest of my costumes will be constructed. I was greeted so warmly by everyone and shown into a plush fitting room, where I just imagined like, Chita Rivera being pinned into a costume (I know--whenever I think STAR I think immediately of Chita Rivera first!). I was measured and met the talented man who would be building my white tailcoat for the glitzy finale of the show. I am just in awe that I have been invited into this rarefied world. Got my script yesterday! Now the real work begins...

No comments: