Friday, February 27, 2009

From Rocket City to the Space Coast


Week 64: Melbourne, FL

I apologize in advance. This will probably prove to be the most boring blog post I have yet published. Mea Culpa. Problem is, I have not done a whole lot here in Melbourne this week! Our hotel is, as it frequently can be, on a highway. Everything has to be driven to and I am carpooling again this week. So I have not gotten around much. That said, just to be in a climate, at long last, where you can wear shorts and a t-shirt is in itself an event!

On Friday, my Aunt Nancy and Uncle Larry came by and whisked me off to their vacation condo on Satellite Beach.
This was my only opportunity to get to the beach this week and it was made doubly pleasurable by the opportunity to see my relatives. Nancy and Larry are enjoying a glorious retirement. These folks get around! They travel all the time and drive from one end of the US to the other. They have been coming to this part of Florida for almost a decade every year. Their place is right on the water and I imagine falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the surf right under one's window must be heavenly. I have a special connection to beaches and to the sea. I think all people who grew up, as I did, on a coastline, respond with a deep intuitive feeling to the ocean. My aunt and uncle strolled for a while on the sand with me (they are inspiringly appreciative of all of nature, pointing out the various sea birds, the colors of the sea and sky, and other beauties) and then let me walk on myself. There is something deeply healing about a long walk on a beach--the lull of the steady surf in your ears, the fresh salt air, the sun on your back and the feel of your feet sinking in the sand or plashing through the water's edge. My mother taught me the therapeutic and spiritually renewing value of a long beach walk. It was something we did a lot together as I was growing up in New England. And for Mom, that ritual was something that she made time for when we were kids, driving up to Maine, taking a motel room for me and my siblings and herself, just so she could get up at dawn and "walk the beach." It was there, with the sea whispering to her, that she sorted out the tough decisions of her life, said a silent prayer, visualized her future. Walking on Satellite Beach allowed me the time to think about how far I have come in the past year or two, and to contemplate where my next steps will take me.

We've had delightful audiences here in Melbourne at the Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts. Both audience members and press have remarked on what a tonic "Spamalot" is for people immersed in the gloom and anxiety of our country's economic dilemma. Just to get out amongst a group of other human beings and laugh for two hours seems to be what the doctor ordered. It feels good to provide that relief for people. I firmly believe that we will pull ourselves out of this difficult time. It's important to stay positive and, yes, look on "the bright side." My dresser in Melbourne has been the lovely Christine.
Christine lived in Norway most of her life and has been in the states for a couple of years. She is by trade a lighting person/electrician, but the nature of stagehand work is that you take whatever employment is available. So this week Christine gets to operate zippers instead of lighting boards. Thanks for taking good care of me and Jeff Dumas this week, Christine! And with that folks, we wrap up our weekend here and move on to Tampa on Monday. Maybe I will have a better story to share next week, or at the very least, have a tan line.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not boring at all . . . eloquent and thoughtful as usual. Thank you.

beacher creature said...

Jamie, your blog is never boring. I look forward to it every week. You have been giving us a grand tour of North America, as well as insights into the life of an actor on the road (not forgetting your tours of all the art galleries and museums, an education in themselves.)

I was happy to read that your contract has been extended, so congrats on that.

The beach photo was wonderful to see today, as my city in the NE is in the deep freeze, during the coldest days of the winter. It's frigid here. I am living for spring.
I play my Spamalot CD to cheer myself up.

Did you know that blurb.com has a new product...you can publish your blog (if only for yourself.) I hope you will check that out. It would be a shame to lose all these wonderful online journal entries to the vapours of the blogosphere.
A hard copy would last your lifetime.....
Keep up the great work.

Florida Gal said...

Hi from Tampa, James! Looking forward to seeing Spamalot here in my own backyard! I saw it in NYC when Clay Aiken was in it, and it was hilarious!!!

You have a very interesting blog, and I hope to take time to go back and read some of your past ones as you seem to love to search out the interesting facts about the places your tour takes you. Much appreciate the research you do to bring us a lovely travelogue!! Can't wait to read what you'll say about Tampa! Hope you get a chance to visit Ybor City while here. Lots of Latin history there. Hmmm, let's see...what else? Maybe try to visit the University of Tampa across the river from downtown. It's recognizable for its minarets on the roof. Quite unique! Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay here, and I think the weather will warm up in a day or so. I know, I know.....Northerners don't think this is cold, buuuut...40 degree weather IS cold to us who are used to 80's and 90 degrees. I'll take 95 in the shade, thankyouverymuch!

We'll be at the show Thursday nite.
3rd row stage left! hee! 4 ladies....girls nite out!! See ya!

crchtkath said...

James,

I have been following your blog off and on for a few months and I enjoy it very much. You are a very gifted writer. I came to check today to see if you would be part of the San Francisco company and I am so excited to see that you will be. I will be taking my brother to see Spam for his 44th birthday. He's a HUGE Monty Python fan and I can't wait to see him watch Spamalot and I can't wait to see you as Sir Robin.

Kathy