Saturday, May 30, 2009

Idle Thoughts


Week 75: San Francisco, CA

Our opening night this week in San Francisco was an unqualified triumph. For me, it felt like a Broadway opening. Eric Idle and John DuPrez, the creators of "Spamalot," were in attendance. Eric came back stage to our dressing rooms to wish all the leading actors well. He had seen the first preview last week and had great things to say about all of us; he told me he felt I was wonderful in the show and "very, very funny." For a comic genius who was a member of one of the most famous comedy teams in history (which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year) to offer me praise like that, for a role that he himself created in the film, was heady stuff indeed. If I had doubts about my work in "Spamalot" they were allayed by the approval of the man himself. Eric and John came up on stage after curtain calls and joined us for the big "Bright Side" singalong, and after the show our presenters here threw us an elegant party at the Hotel Monaco nearby.
As usual, the company got out their Sunday clothes and made a beautiful showing. Above, there's a shot of me with Chris Sutton and his lovely wife, Lyn, together with Eric Idle; and here is a shot of me with our reigning King, John O'Hurley, and his beautiful real life Queen, Lisa. Such a great kickoff to our run here.

I have been, for the first time on this tour, living the classic life of an actor. San Francisco offers so much fun and entertaining nightlife that I have been out on the town virtually after every performance of the show, staying out til all hours, rising in the late morning and using the afternoon hours to get to the gym or a yoga class, or to see something of the city. This is unusual for an early riser like me--in almost all the other cities I have gotten up early and been out and about sightseeing every day. The long and short of it is, there is much of San Francisco to explore and I have not seen a whole lot just as yet. Part of the reason is that it is quite a complicated city to get around in--once you figure out the tangle of subways, buses and cable cars, you have to prepare yourself for the inevitable walking, which is really climbing. And I tell you, it can be a challenge, even for the physically fit, to do a full day of exploring in San Francisco. I have managed to wander around the Nob Hill neighborhood where I am staying, marveling at the classic architecture, the beauty of Grace Cathedral, the majesty of the Hotel Fairmount, and the views of the city from atop the hill. Each neighborhood has its own character, and I look forward to seeing more of this beautiful city as the weeks go on. If I can get out of bed in the morning!

We are preparing for a benefit which we will be performing in a couple weeks on our "dark night," for a local AIDS charity as well as Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. Various company members are coming up with musical numbers and dance pieces to perform and we are going to appear alongside members of the cast of "Wicked." I am doing a number by musical theatre composer William Finn, which was suggested by my friend Tim, who is organizing the benefit. It's a fun number and really expresses my personality. Following my rehearsal yesterday, I wandered back to the hotel and along the way I stopped in to the San Francisco Performing Arts Library and Museum for their incredible exhibit entitled "Star Quality: The World of Noel Coward." You may recall that I went to the Lunts' home in Wisconsin, Ten Chimneys, last year--the famous acting couple were lifelong friends of Coward's and this exhibit started there and has expanded to what it is now in San Francisco.
Coward was one of the great theatrical minds of the last century--starting his career as a precocious child actor, by his twenties he was an established playwright who was not only prolific but fast (he wrote "Hay Fever" in three days and "Private Lives" in four), was a composer, an actor, a singer, a director--in short, he was what he came to be called later in life: The Master. I have always loved Coward and this exhibit, full of rare photographs and memorabilia (from Coward's dressing gowns, to his cigarette cases, his theatrical makeup kit and toupees), wonderful recordings and video is just thrilling. It's a glimpse into a theatrical world that, alas, no longer exists. We may never see such glamour again.

"Star Quality: I don't know what it is, but I've got it."
--Noel Coward

San Francisco's many museums offer riches that I absolutely plan to explore during the rest of my time here. Along with those explorations, I plan to get in some quality time with my brother, his wife and their kids, who all live in nearby San Jose. I don't get to see them often and it was a blast to share "Spamalot" with them--especially with my brother, who has been a die hard Python fan since the 70s. I have a few other friends in the area that I plan to spend some time with, and will no doubt continue to burn the candle at both ends! But it's all part of the adventure of this tour. Now that we know that the journey will come to an end in October, we all have the opportunity to really savor not only the sights and activities of these last great cities, but to really appreciate how lucky we are to still be getting out there and doing the work of this hugely successful and popular show. Believe me, I am deeply grateful still for this opportunity, and feel very proud and excited indeed that the creators, especially Mr. Idle, have given me their seal of approval. I am off to do a two show Saturday, so best wishes to all. More next week!

No comments: