Saturday, January 17, 2009

Will It Play in Peoria?

Week 58: Peoria, IL

Eight performances a week plus constant traveling make touring an endless grind that requires total discipline and the stamina of mountain goats... Playing a new city almost every week is a mixed blessing. It's fun discovering the unique character of various parts of the country, getting to know northerners and southerners and westerners in their differing environments... I was surprised to see, in all this traveling around, how homogenized our country has become. City after city, state after state, the same malls with the same shops and Cineplexes selling the same movies and clothes repeated themselves everywhere... it seemed like we'd keep getting on planes, fly a thousand miles, and then land in the same place.
--Richard Chamberlain, "Shattered Love"

Hail, fellow! Richard knows from where he speaks, having been in two enormously successful Broadway musical tours. If you have not read his memoir, I highly recommend it to you. I have always been an admirer of Richard's charisma, his talent and glamorous screen image, but I never knew the side of him that he reveals so powerfully in his book. Far from being a show biz memoir, this is an intensely personal revelation of his spiritual journey and an exploration of profound ideas. I admit that I picked up the book in order to have a better understanding of this star before beginning work with him; what he offered me was a better understanding of myself, at a time of powerful spiritual exploration and questioning in my own life. I am more excited than before to work with, and hopefully, get to know this remarkable man.




Back in the days of vaudeville, it was said that if an act succeeded in Peoria, it would succeed anywhere. Since those days, Peoria has continued to be a city used as a test market for new products, for stand-up comics and rock bands to try out new material, and even to gauge popular opinion in political races. The term "Heartland of America" was coined for this region of the country and Peoria is still considered to be "the test market capital of the world." Visually, Peoria is rather ho-hum; and the downtown area we are in is so much like other similar cities in America--somewhat busy during the work day and absolutely deserted at night. There is a nice riverfront section of town along the Illinois River, where our gym this week is located. However, with 7 degree temperatures, the ten minute walk to there from the hotel and back is a workout in itself! I grew up with seasons in Massachusetts, but the damp cold of a New England winter is nothing compared to the dry, deep, bone chilling cold of the Midwest. I have no idea how people exist here year in and year out.

So what can I tell ya? Not a whole lot to do in Peoria to begin with, and the record cold temperatures are limiting the agenda of activities.
My time has been taken up with working out, studying and rehearsing with Mr. Chamberlain, whose Arthur is going to be charming, regal and just lovely. We are performing at the Peoria Civic Center, designed in the early 80s by the renowned architect Philip Johnson. Three structures are enclosed within a streamlined glass arcade that presents a very pretty contrast to the Peoria City Hall building adjacent to it, an historic structure in a sort of neo-Renaissance style, circa 1897.

Sarah is my Peoria dresser.
She is such a down to earth lady. This is one of her jobs--she also works in social services, and during the winter months is the sole breadwinner for her family (her husband is a roofer and works in the warmer months). She has two kids, a nine year old and a thirteen year old. Such a devoted mother is she that she has some of her younger daughter's artwork tattooed on her body--it's very cool and endearing. Sarah's family is going through some rough times and she is handling it all with grace. She is not the only new friend I have met on this tour who has filled me with awe and deep respect. I have had the good fortune to have connected with some of you (and you know who you are) who have taken the time to write to me after seeing the show, or who have met me at the stage door, and have opened your hearts and shared your stories. Some of you have become friends. Your personal journeys have touched my heart, opened my mind and inspired my deepest respect for the hardships and challenges you have endured. The greatest common denominator in all of your experiences has been the positivity and optimism with which you have faced what life has offered you. I am forever grateful for these special connections I have made with extraordinary human beings who I have been lucky enough to bring a little laughter and pleasure to along this journey.

Chicago is the next stop on the tour, for two whole weeks. Having not spent nearly enough time in that great city, I am looking forward to exploring all it has to offer. And of course, I celebrate with the rest of the country the inauguration of Barack Obama. A new era begins...

1 comment:

Colette said...

I would just like to say Thank You for taking the time to blog about Peoria. I was at your performance on Saturday night and have not laughed so much. The show was so much better then I could have ever imagined and would love to see the show over and over again. Thank you again for being able to entertain so many people.