Saturday, November 8, 2008

A New Hope


Week 48: Ottawa, Ontario

Did you miss me?? Our two week layoff sped by, during which I caught up with old friends, celebrated my birthday, got my learner's permit, saw some shows and ate like a pig! Honestly, I think I went up two waist sizes. Oh well. Running around in chain mail will burn it off.

You can imagine how very strange it was to spend our opening night in the capital of Canada during the election of Barack Obama. After our performance, a big group of us went to a local pub and watched with eager anticipation and growing excitement as the returns came in and Obama emerged victorious. There was a wonderful feeling of fellowship amongst us, this little band of theatre folk in another country, feeling the pride of being Americans and the elation of being a part of history. It was the first time in years that I felt truly proud to be an American, and while President-Elect Obama has an arduous and heavy challenge ahead of him, I believe that he has the strength and vision to see us through. And perhaps now more Americans will be involved in the process and will participate in government and the furtherance of the causes they believe in. May God guide the footsteps of our 44th president.



Ottawa is our final Canadian stop on the tour. Located on the border between the provinces of Ontario and Quebec on the Ottawa River, the city's name is derived from the Odawa people, a native tribe that once occupied this region. There is a legend that the city was chosen to be the capital of Canada by Queen Victoria, who allegedly took her hatpin and stuck it in a spot halfway between Toronto and Montreal. With the city of Gatineau and the province of Quebec directly across the river, there is a decidedly French feeling to this area. Some of the architecture, from the houses of Parliament to the Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel, is truly majestic and very Parisian in feeling. French is spoken as much as English here and there is a rich multi-cultural life. "Spamalot" is performing in the vast National Arts Centre this week, and unlike our engagements in Vancouver and Toronto, our run is completely sold out here! It was a great feeling to return to the show after two weeks and to be received by such an enormous, effusive and supportive audience.



In my travels in Canada, I have visited some good art galleries, but have been disappointed in not finding a fine art museum that has the kind of European antiquities that I am passionate about. Well, the National Gallery of Canada here in Ottawa did not disappoint. What a marvelous structure, and the permanent collection is first rate.
I have a passion for the Italian Baroque as well as the Venetian artists of the 18th century, and this museum has many fine examples of both, in particular some very important large Venetian scenes by Canaletto. All periods of European painting are represented, with some fine examples by Rubens, Boticelli and others; there are some excellent Impressionist paintings including two stunning Monet landscapes, and one of Rodin's great bronzes, Age of Bronze. There was a temporary exhibit of American/Hungarian photographer Andre Keretsz that I found particularly exciting. Most of the photos were taken in the 20s and 30s in Paris and New York and Keretsz had a wonderful eye for detail that I really responded to. After my visit to the museum, I wandered through By Ward Market, one of Canada's oldest public markets, dating back to the early 19th century. This charming area is now home not only to produce and fine gourmet food stalls, but pubs and restaurants and fancy designer furniture and clothing stores. Ottawa is a classy town.

On Thursday, the company treated me and a few others who celebrated birthdays during the layoff to a birthday cake.
This is a "Spamalot" tradition--each member of cast and crew gets a cake on their birthday, usually presented at intermission of a performance, with much frivolity and good will. It was a nice surprise to have a second birthday celebration. With me in this photo are my buddy Tim and Francesca, one of our stage managers, who always takes on the duty of cutting and serving the birthday cakes.

My Ottawa dresser is Adelle.
This is only Adelle's second show and she has done a terrific job. She, like many of the dressers I have worked with on tour, came to wardrobe work after retirement and she seems to be enjoying herself amongst the crazies of the theatre! Ottawa has been a pleasant, successful and gratifying last stop in Canada. Next week, it's Norfolk, Virginia. Until then, best wishes to all.

2 comments:

sharon said...

Welcome back Jamie. I just found your blog and love to read it.
I am in Vancouver. I missed Spamalot when it was here. Had to work.
I, like many Canadians, watched with great anticipation the USA presidential election. I am so pleased the Barack Obama won.
Have a great time in Ottawa.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday James! Missed reading about your adventures while you were away.