Saturday, September 20, 2008

How Do You Make God Laugh?

--Tell him your plans.

Week 41: New York, NY

My attempt at fast-tracking my recovery simply didn't work. For an injury that typically takes four to six weeks to heal, trying to get better in 10 days was an exercise in futility. My physical therapist and I tried a few simple moves from the show during our last session last week and it quickly became obvious that not only would performing be painful for me, it would be risky. The last thing I want is to make the injury worse and the downtime even longer. I was vastly improved from where I was at the time of the injury, but it would take more PT and rest to get me back in the game. So I stayed another week in New York, getting treatment and dealing with the rigmarole that is our insane insurance industry. I do believe everything happens for a reason, even if we don't know what that reason might be right away.

Having a second week in New York had it's benefits however. Once I got past the initial frustration and depression about being injured I came out of my little cave and reconnected with friends and colleagues I hadn't seen in many, many months and have had some nice visits. I also have had the chance to see some theatre, a luxury that I rarely get on the road due to our performance schedule. My friend Mickey is working on "The Seagull," an imported production from England of the Chekhov play, and he got me into the invited dress rehearsal. Because of my classical background I am passionate about great productions of classic pieces but unfortunately this is not one. Chekhov is tricky and has so many traps for the actor and director. It's so easy to let the plays slide into a turgid mass of self-pity and frustration. Odd casting and a lack of pacing and energy are plaguing this particular production, led by Kristin Scott Thomas and Peter Sarsgaard. Thomas is luminous to look at, with those extraordinary cheekbones of hers, but her Irina is shallow and all on one note. Sarsgaard is simply miscast as Trigorin, the famous writer who is the obsession of the two primary women of the play. He has a very odd speech pattern, similar to John Malkovich's, is rather soft and fey and has no stage appeal at all. Chekhov plays are peopled with wonderful supporting characters and the best performances in this Broadway production are turned in by Art Malik as the Doctor, and Ann Dowd as Paulina, the wife of the estate keeper. Dowd especially delivers a full-blooded character, overflowing with emotion and sensitivity, and the pain of her unrequited love for the Doctor. It's worth seeing just for her marvelous performance.

I have the opportunity to see one or two other things while in town and one of them is a Sunday matinee of "Spamalot!"
Clay Aiken returns to the role of Sir Robin this week and I want to see his take on the little chicken. I am also hoping to meet him and get a photo with him for the blog, so keep your fingers crossed! I have some buddies in the Broadway company who are trying to help me facilitate a moment with Clay but he has pretty protective handlers, apparently. At the very least it will be fun to see what he does with the part. Full report next week.

Aside from seeing theatre, and catching up with my chums here, as well as the all-important healing process, being sidelined from the tour has given me a chance to catch up on the presidential campaigns and educate myself about what's going on in these precarious and unsettling times. Between the natural disasters and Wall Street crises we are living in a pretty anxious moment in our country's history. The anxiety is not helped by the presence of Sarah Palin in the presidential race. I acknowledge and respect John McCain's record of public service and his sacrifices as a soldier. But his judgment in selecting a vice presidential running mate who is purely a provocative and divisive "personality" rather than a qualified candidate is troubling.
I watched the Charles Gibson interviews with Palin and was simply bewildered by this woman's dearth of knowledge and insight on crucial matters of international politics and her convenient hedging of her hard line opinions which are a matter of public record. The woman makes Anita Bryant and Dr. Laura look like moderates. Our country does not need to go backward. Palin is an inflexible and dangerous conservative and in no way is she in a position to represent ALL Americans. No abortion in cases of rape and incest? No waiting periods for assault weapons just because she and her fellow Alaskans like to slaughter moose for sport? Has the woman ever been in an urban environment, or has she been breathing the thin air in Alaska so long she isn't aware that there are teenagers stalking the streets with Uzis? I love listening to conservative Republicans talk about getting the government out of people's business; yet all their social policies are about denying whole segments of the population their rights based on their own personal religious and moral views. There was a little movement in Nuremburg about seventy years ago that did the same thing. Much as I like Canada, I would rather not have to contemplate a change of citizenship if, heaven forbid, we are saddled with a McCain/Palin presidency.

Speaking of Canada, as of this writing my doctor has given me the green light to return to work, so I will be flying to Toronto on Monday. With modifications to my performance, continued physical therapy, and good care, I will be able to work my way back into the show and get on with my life and my tour. Thanks to all of you who have written to express your good wishes for my recovery; really, it means more than you know. Enjoy the coming of autumn, everyone, and more next week from Canada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James - good luck getting a picture taken with Clay! Sorry about your injury, too - but did you know that Clay sang a song on his first album with RCA, Measure of a Man, that goes "If you wanna make God laugh, all you gotta do is tell Him your plans"? Haha, you two have another con.nec.shun! I'll be checking back to see if you get a pic!