Saturday, August 16, 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Week 36: New York, NY and Philadelphia, PA

In my effort to be the smart, savvy touring actor, I took it on myself a couple months ago to anticipate the travel from Calgary to Philadelphia (with three days off to allow for the transport of the set) by purchasing for myself a ticket from Calgary to New York. This allowed me the chance to be home for the first time in nine months. Ironically, when our company manager announced the company flight, it was from Calgary to Newark, NJ, a short jaunt to NYC. My flight was to New York via Houston, which meant a very long travel day. I left my Calgary digs at 4:30 AM to make a 7:00 AM flight to Houston. When I reached Houston it was announced that due to weather in New York the flight to LaGuardia was delayed, three hours. I got home at 10:00PM while the company flight touched down at 5:00. But the most important thing was that I GOT HOME. When I arrived and was standing in the taxi line, brightly lit signs mounted on the cabs advertised "Spamalot" starring Steven Collins and Drew Lachey. I can't escape it!!

Being in my neighborhood was a surreal experience after being on the road for nine months. It felt almost like I had been in a dream all that time and woke up back home. Yet the landscape of the city has changed so much in that short time: new developments, new businesses, old businesses disappearing. But how good it was to be home. I saw old friends, had meetings with my agent, my trainer, and a session with my genius massage therapist. Slept in my own bed, for which I bought all new bedding. It was a productive, hectic and expensive visit home! Thursday, I hopped the Amtrak for Philadelphia.

I spent a good part of my youth in Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs, visiting my grandparents and other relatives who lived here. I remember childhood trips to Independence Hall, the mint, the Liberty Bell. I have not yet explored any of these or other sights in Philly this trip but certainly plan to do some of that next week.
I am staying here in a charming, historic part of town known alternately as the Washington Square District or the Antiques District; a lovely area of bricked and cobblestone streets, narrow lanes, old row houses, antique shops and cafes, which is a short walk to the theatre. My hotel is an enchanting inn, the Clinton Street Bed and Breakfast, which is really a sort of suite hotel in an old Victorian house. I have a lovely large suite with its own kitchen and bath, elegantly furnished with antiques, and it is very homey indeed. The neighborhood reminds me of historic districts like Capital Hill in DC, the South End of Boston, or Greenwich Village in New York.

We are performing in Philadelphia at the Academy of Music, one of the great historic American theatres. Built in the 1850s, the theatre was originally an opera house where some of the greatest artists of all time performed: Enrico Caruso, Joan Sutherland, Anna Pavlova, Pavarotti...the list goes on and on. The house is glorious--opulent, gilded horseshoe shaped tiers rise up and up, crowned by exquisite ceiling murals and an enormous crystal chandelier which right now is wrapped up, having been recently sent to France to be refurbished. I am told that one of the scenes in the film "The Age of Innocence" was shot in the Academy of Music, and one can see why. It truly is like stepping back in time to a more elegant age. It is always thrilling to play one of these famous theatres and to be a part of its rich history.

Opening night, my Aunt Stefi, cousin Amy, cousin Jennifer and her son Aryeh, and their friends came and saw the show. It has been a joy to share my success and my work in "Spamalot" with relations that I rarely see and who almost never get to see what I do. This reunion was delightful, as Jennifer and Amy, along with their sister Robin, spent many summers during our childhood vacationing in Massachusetts with my family. Incredible how fast time passes. It really was so nice to see them. Left to right here: Aryeh, Amy, Jennifer, moi, and Stefi. The poor dears are all wet because they waited in the rain for me by the stage door!




Well, it is time to prepare for another four show weekend, and then back to New York on Sunday night for my day off. I am doing all sorts of preparations not only for the next leg of the tour which will take us back to Canada in September, but for my long awaited vacation in Amsterdam week after next. So friends, more from Philadelphia next week. It will be a bittersweet time, as Gary Beach will be leaving the tour while I am on vacation as will my friend Vera, our props department head with whom I roomed in Vancouver. This is the nature of our business but it is always hard to see good friends leave the fold. Enjoy these last halcyon days of summer, wherever you may be, and remember to express appreciation for the friends, coworkers and loved ones who surround you. These good times are to be savored.

No comments: