Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hard To Say Goodbye

Week 33: Vancouver, B.C.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

By the end of our third week here, I had completely relaxed into life in Vancouver. The realization this week that we will soon be packing up and moving on was a bit like being doused with cold water. I had been lulled into the comfort of a familiar routine. Also, Vancouver is amazing. Absolutely a livable city--expensive, but then so is every great and desirable city in the world. The incredible abundance of majestic natural beauty surrounding the city is in itself reason enough to want to live here. No question about it, Vancouver spoke to me. Granted, we also arrived at the perfect time of year and have had virtually uninterrupted spectacular weather. I am sure the rest of the year, with its gloom and rain, is not perhaps as gleeful. Nevertheless, I will miss this place.

Our final week here started off with a lovely recital given by the talented Ben Davis, who plays Galahad in the show.
Ben is a very gifted classical baritone, who has appeared in numerous Broadway shows, including Baz Luhrmann's "La Boheme." He is also featured as Papageno in Kenneth Branagh's film of "The Magic Flute" (it has not been released in the US yet, but I saw it on video and it is great). Ben gave all of us a wonderful gift of a program of classical arias at the local Christ Church Cathedral. In addition we were treated to a performance of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" for four hands by Michael Gribbin and Adam Souza, two amazing pianists who executed this complex classic masterfully. Ben also had his friend Xiao Yu execute a song on the Pipa, a traditional Chinese instrument, and she gave an equally bravura performance. It was moving to share in the talents of these fine artists outside the scope of our show, and I admit to feeling pangs of hunger for the classical work I was doing before joining "Spamalot." Granted, our show requires a great deal of energy, technical proficiency and a sophisticated sensibility, but it is more a lighthearted picnic than a six course gourmet meal. I find myself hankering after the athleticism and complexity, the vocal and physical demands of Shakespeare. When I think about how it feels to play Posthumous or Macbeth, I feel a rush of excitement and energy. I'd love to show my fellow artists on our tour, as Ben did, the greater range of my abilities; Robin is a sweet character but to play him only requires certain colors from my actor's paint kit, and certain notes in my vocal scale. It's rather like being a swimmer or a gymnast and only ever participating in one event. I have faith that I will again have the chance to tackle some of the great parts in the classical repertoire.


Another feature of our day off this week was a trip to Wreck Beach. I went with Bree and our assistant company manager David. Wreck Beach is a nice stretch of sand down the cliffs near the UBC campus. It is the area's nude beach and is a hoot par excellence. It is quite simply like stepping into a time warp and finding oneself in the late 60's. There is a pronounced eccentric hippie vibe about the beach. Naked vendors in funny hats and fanny packs stroll up and down the sand dispensing, among other things, watermelon, beer, margaritas, ice cream, marijuana, pot cookies, and magic mushrooms. Watching the scene play out in front of us we were keenly aware that we were not in the USA! It was quite something. And of course, the beach was beautiful and the snow capped mountains rising beyond the horizon were fabulous. It was a nice chance to soak up some sun and enjoy something uniquely Vancouver. And no, I did not get naked. There is something rather goofy about nude beaches. People seem to just be getting naked because they have permission to do so in that setting--and I suppose it might be liberating for some to just let it all hang out. For my part, I prefer to expose my body when I have a little more control over the lighting, the presentation, and the viewing audience! Don't especially want all and sundry to be able to study anything that might jiggle, flop or dimple in broad daylight. But different strokes for different folks. I kept my trunks on.

I suppose my travelogue for Vancouver would be more accurate if I recount the things I didn't do here. Fans of the area might be shocked to know that I didn't get over to Vancouver Island and Victoria; I didn't do the Grouse Grind, a challenging mountain hike; I didn't go up to Whistler, the mountain town where the 2010 Olympic alpine events will take place. I feel I got a nice sense of the beauty and nature of the area while I was here, and a nice taste of the flavor of Vancouver itself. For me this place was a blessed respite from the rigors of traveling life. It was a chance to have a somewhat normal routine for a few weeks and enjoy the low key pleasures of this very fabulous city. Vancouver was a place to go within and be with myself. Doesn't make for an exciting travel diary but man, is it good for the sanity!

Some Vancouver snapshots:

Fresh blueberries that burst in your mouth. Reggae bands on the street on Canada Day creating a joyous block party. The ever shifting catwalk of Robson Street. Boys with faux hawk hairstyles everywhere you look. Hippies, drifters and break dancers hanging out in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery. The freshest, briniest oysters I have ever had, enjoyed with a big hunk of sourdough bread and a cool local lager. My kayak paddle breaking the surface of the water in Deep Cove. The rosy cheeked, busty naked vendor who knelt down on my beach blanket to sell me a sweet, juicy hunk of watermelon on Wreck Beach. Groups of Asian school kids jumping up and down on the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge and screaming with fear and delight. The luxurious, supple feel of my new leather jacket purchased in a designer boutique in Gastown. Pushing my limits in yoga class in Yaletown, all muscles straining and stretching while the sweat pours down. Ben Davis' birthday party, where in addition to cake, we were served Lucky Charms, Froot Loops and milk. Boogying with Bree and Sarah Lin to the funky sounds of Soulstream, the ten piece house band at Republic. The sheer bliss of my bike ride along the seawall in Stanley Park. It has been a full and rich time for me here.

Here is the fabulous Tanya!
Tanya was my dresser here in Vancouver and because we worked together for a month and because she is just such a funny, sassy, irreverent gal, we have become friends and have had some good times hanging out together. Tanya is from Nanaimo, a small town on Vancouver Island, and has recently moved back into Vancouver to restart her life here. I wish her the very best of luck. Her winning personality and great sense of humor will take her far and win over many people here. I certainly hope we will stay in touch. And so I wistfully say farewell to Vancouver. I hope that I will return here one day. Edmonton, Alberta is next, friends. The Canadian odyssey continues...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve really enjoyed your Vancouver blog. Happy the city I love has been good for you. Enjoyable photographs! Loved your Lynn Canyon experience. Deep Cove photo really hit home. I sat there in grief the day after my brother died; thanks for your photo; I’ve saved it. Looking forward to your Edmonton blogs. Though I am not wishing the summer away, I am looking forward to enjoying Spamalot in T.O.