Sunday, March 16, 2008

100

Week 15: West Palm Beach, FL

Moons and junes and ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As evry fairy tale comes real
Ive looked at love that way

--Joni Mitchell, "Both Sides Now"




This weekend I gave my 100th performance as Sir Robin. I find it bewildering that I have already played eleven cities. I think this is a good time to just express gratitude for my present life! Not to get all "Oprah" on you, but this opportunity has completely changed my life. And it is the result of twenty years of persistent, consistent work in the business. My website will have a bunch more material about my work to date, but believe me when I say it has been a wild ride and I have worked very hard to have this breakthrough in my career. And what a breakthrough! A plum role in a enormously successful, Tony winning production, touring all of North America and performing alongside one of my show biz idols. This is my first Broadway show (technically it's only "Broadway" if it's in New York, but nonetheless), my first tour, and the landscape of my life inwardly and outwardly is constantly changing. I am very grateful to God, the Universe, whatever magic brings to life the things we dream of; my family, especially my Mom--Happy Birthday!, and my dear dear best friend Mickey Abbate. I hope you have a friend as good as he is in your life. And most of all, thank you to the entire touring company of "Spamalot." From the reassuring hand on a shoulder, the flashlight instinctively held out to light your way, from the in-jokes and weirdo rituals, to the high of those performances when you really felt you all "nailed it." Thanks for taking me in as one of the "spamily."
That reads like an acceptance speech! Maybe it is one in a way...

West Palm Beach has turned out to be a relaxed and pleasant place and we have had a great reception from the audiences here. I just have to voice one note of disappointment. You who have followed my blog know that I try to accentuate the positive and see the good as much as I can. But I have to point out a pet peeve of mine. Audience members should not leave the theatre during the curtain call, period. The curtain call is part of the show (and in our show it includes a wonderful encore sing-along of "Bright Side" with confetti canons going off at the end--why would you wanna miss that!?) and to walk out while we are out there receiving your appreciation is like departing a restaurant without leaving a tip. In addition to that, WE CAN SEE YOU. We can see masses of people making for the exit while we are sharing what should be the crowning moment of the evening with the audience and that doesn't feel good--it also takes away from the experience of other audience members. Please, when you go to the theatre, stay for the curtain call. Yes, you may have to file out with everyone else after the show and yes, you may have to get your car from the garage, but are you really saving any time by leaving three minutes early? This is my opinion and my opinion only and doesn't represent the production. I just had to say it!

Our resident party planner, the vivacious Piper Arpan, threw a Sunday brunch at her digs across the street from the theatre. She completely outdid herself cooking three kinds of quiche, Nutella stuffed french toast, roast potatoes, three kinds of sausage, virgin bloody marys, juice, coffee...!! It was a feast, all eaten al fresco near a lovely reflecting pool. That's Jonathan vogueing for the camera.

My dresser of the week was another Lisa. This one usually works as an electrician, doing lighting work in the theatre, but they needed hands in wardrobe so she took on the job of dressing her first principal actor--me! She is a lovely, calm lady and very sweetly presented me with a nice card and a margarita glass full of chocolate easter eggs as a parting gift. See what I mean? There is goodness all around, we just have to notice it and share it with others. More from Clearwater to come. This week Casey Nicholaw, one of the original creators of the show and its choreographer, will be seeing the show and doing a work session with us. Mr. Nicholaw is an enormously talented director and choreographer who was also the creator of "The Drowsy Chaperone." I am so excited to have the opportunity to work with him and gain invaluable insight into performing the show from "the horse's mouth" so to speak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right.
Personally, the curtain call is my FAVORITE part of every single show that I see.
Especially the SPAMALOT one, what a blast! I stole a ton of confetti on my way out. And yelping when my favorite actor appears..nothing more satisfying.

-WD

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your statements regarding curtain call. It always irks me to no end to see people leave the house whether I'm on stage or even in the audience. I just saw you all on Tuesday in Orlando, and absolutely loved the show. Thanks for an amazing experience!